Pre-drive by Bill Gobie
This ride starts and ends in Bremerton. If you have not been to the Seattle ferry terminal recently give yourself plenty of time to find the entrance. You can buy your ferry ticket online. The “mobile delivery” option will give you a bar code that can be scanned from your phone. If you are riding onto the ferry you can use the bike scanner to the right of the vehicle lanes at the fare booths.
The route is final pending a final review. The link (same as on the SIR ride page): https://ridewithgps.com/routes/37118933
The biggest changes from the previous running of this route are:
- Massive rerouting of the southwest corner of the route due to horrible construction on WA-109. I think the inland route from Copalis Beach is nicer anyway.
- Slight rerouting in Hoquiam and Aberdeen.
- The grill at You & I Market in Pacific Beach is not operating. The store has the usual convenience store items, but fresh teriyaki or burgers are not available.
- All intermediate controls are info controls.
- The gravel portion of Cougar-Smith Rd is in very good condition. There are no large holes. Stretches are extremely rough, however.
- Slower riders will have to cover the final 125 km from Montesano without resupplying.
Full disclosure: The picture was taken about 5pm near Union. Only very fast riders will get to view this scene… perhaps make this a stretch goal!